A Wimberley premiere, Star of the Hills
opened Memorial Day
weekend of 2003 at the EmilyAnn Theatre and ran for three
Star of the Hills is not your typical historical pageant, and when it explodes on the stage of the Emily Ann Theatre, theatre-goers
are always in for an exciting evening of outdoor entertainment.
More than a pageant, more than entertainment, Star of the Hills
leaves visitors with a renewed understanding of the importance of the land and the fascinating history that makes the Wimberley Valley—and Texas—what it is today.
In 2003, Director Melissa May Moncus first brought the work of playwright Dorey Schmidt and composer Gordon Jones to life in
an evening of enchantment. Based in part on the history of Wimberley, this lively drama includes musical numbers ranging from the rollicking "Cedar Whackers' Ball" to the soulful "This Lovely Land."
Lone Woman, a Tonkawa spirit shaman, Bill Duncan, local story teller, Freddie Blake, the idealistic young realtor and Stella Santos, a visitor form the city are just some of the characters who bring the story to life.
Check the Events calendar each May for
information about the current year's performances.
first cast for the first performances.)
- Greeter/audience warm-up - Bill Finklea and (alternating nights) Jo Nell Erck, Priya DiTraglia, Linda Kay Rogers
- Stella Santos, sophisticated city woman - Jennifer Digges
- Bill Duncan, town storyteller - Bobby Frick
- Band leader for the Cedar Whacker Ball - Bill Graham
- Freddie Blake, Wimberley real estate agent - Michael Covey
- Madge Jones, docent at Winters-Wimberley House - Adrienne Harrell
- Lone Woman, Tonkawa Spirit Shaman - Consuelo Samarripa
- Koh-Noo-Na, Tonkawa Brave - Rodney Bursiel
- Koh -Noo-Na's Mother/Keening Woman - Rebekah Cook
- A-Ha-Wee, Koh-Noo-Na’s wife - Erin Burns/Tess Mallory
- Morning Star, Koh-Noo-Na’s daughter (age 8) - Sarah Lindsey
- Morning Star, Koh-Noo-Na's daughter (age 17) - Amy Higgs
- Tonkawa Medicine Woman - Priya DiTraglia
- Tio-Na-Ka - Kyle Struder
- Wah-Soo-Ti - Lance (clay) Ferguson
- Jacob de Cordova - Gary Yowell
- Pedro-18-20, Spanish priest - Bart McPherson
- Robert X. Ransom - Bill Phillips
- Andrew, Pleasant Wimberley's son - Parker Patterson
- Isaac, Pleasant Wimberley's son - Dylan Meek
- Zachary, Pleasant Wimberley's son - Bart McPherson
- Priest - Robert Derr
- Extras and town people, Tonkawas
Prija Di Traglia
Mary Kate Riddle